Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Creates new and special recipes that reflect the theme or flavor of the casino and local culture. The selection of food items is affected by food surpluses, local specialties, or seasonal items.
• Prepares recipe specifications and must train cooks in the preparation of each dish. All recipes must be communicated both verbally and in written form to cooks. Must maintain a recipe book containing the written specifications for each dish.
• Ensures food is prepared in an attractive and appetizing manner.
• Plans menus for the restaurant, special events catering, and hotel conferences. Must estimate the number of guests and the popularity of various dishes, thus being able to estimate food consumption and requisition the necessary food and kitchen supplies.
• Provides support, advice, guidance, direction, and authorization to subordinate staff necessary to implement goals and objectives.
• Reviews menus, analyzes recipes, and determines food, labor, and overhead costs. Responsible for assigning prices to various items on the menu. Analyzes department budget and operational expenses to identify areas in which reductions can be made and efficiencies maximized.
• Confers with marketing department to develop advertising, publicity, and menus to attract patronage and guest appeal.
• Responsible for hiring and training the kitchen staff. Directs the training of chefs and other cooks.
• Supervises all restaurant personnel. Hires, directs and schedules employees, completes performance appraisals for department employees, and disciplinary procedures.
• Develops, implements, and complies with planning and budgeting efforts.
• Develops, analyzes, and presents activity reports of restaurant operations.
• Must be presentable when reporting to work, wearing appropriate business attire or clean and pressed uniform when applicable. Good personal hygiene required.
Skills, Abilities, Equipment Used and Knowledge:
• Must have an aptitude for customer services and ability to remain calm and cheerful in stressful situations.
• Must possess a friendly demeanor at all times and perform job requirements with S.E.G. (Smile, Eye Contact, Greeting).
• Must possess excellent managerial and administrative skills. A result-oriented managerial style required.
• Must possess excellent computer skills. Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, specifically Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel are required.
• Must possess basic teaching skills.
• Must be team oriented and capable of adapting to major changes in priority and direction.
• Culinary Arts Certification required.
• Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality or Hotel Management preferred.
• Hospitality and Supervisory course – three college credit hours required.
• Five years plus experience as Sous Chef, Executive Sous Chef, and/or Executive Chef required.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Work schedule may be variable (7/24/365).
• Requires the visual acuity and manual dexterity to read and write reports.
• Working conditions will be in an interior, climate-controlled environment.
• Working conditions include exposure to moderate-to-heavy tobacco smoke and moderate-to-loud noise.